Search

Напишите нам

About us

About us
            
In 1914 the medical director of Odessa city resort, prof. N. А. Shchegolev offered to build in a sea front area of Alexandrovsky park (nowadays park named after Т. G. Schevtchenko) the institute of physical methods of treatment with “an extensive department of warm sea baths”. Odessa being located at the Black Sea at a height of 70 meters above its level in a dry, healthy, beautiful area, with a mild and warm climate, sea air, rich in salt humidity and life-giving rays of the sun may be considered as the capital of the maritime climate. The Health Resort was initially owned by the group of doctors headed by the well-known in the medical world of that time doctor I.L.Triger. As they wrote in 1915: “Sea Resort in Odessa is located near the sea, in the village area close to the city… Buildings of seaside resort are located in a big garden and consist of three stone buildings. A number of medical treatment factors are available here: 1) hydropathical unit; 2) electrical baths (four-chamber); 3) electro-light baths (white, blue, red, arc lamps); 4) steam and air baths; 5) rooms for massage; 6) rooms for electrization (galvanic and faradic currents, D'Arsonval, thermopenetration (so was called diathermy - author); 7) carbon dioxide and iron carbonates baths; 8) oxygen and radiogenic baths; 9) local mud; 10) warm sea baths; 11) stands for drinking mineral water of normal temperature.  At the request of the patients the specialists of the medical world of Odessa are invited to consult, as well as carry out medical tests and studies.
      
During the civil war the resort was not functioning. Hospitals for the wounded, infectious disease hospital and a shelter for the starving children of Volga region were located in its territory in 1920. But in 1922, the buildings and the area of the resort were transferred to the local resort management authorities, organized at that time in Odessa.
On May 15, 1925 Lermontovsky was re-opened. History saved the name of its first Head doctor, Nikolai Nikolaevitch Kozhevnikov. In 1926 the resort occupied a big place at the sea side. The resort was comfortably furnished and equipped. Nice rooms for patients, much air. Big bath department was equipped with all kinds of baths and showers. There was also a solarium. Sun bathes could be taken under the supervision of doctors. Professors and qualified specialists received patients. Both organizations and individuals could buy vouchers for medical treatment provided in the resort. Patients received meals, care, treatment and consultations of doctors.   

From the first days of Lermontovsky resort, its development was tightly connected to an incipient science of resorts. Particularly in this place in 1927 the Ukrainian Research Institute of Balneology and Physiotherapy (further The Scientific and Research Institute of Resorts and Physiotherapy (first director – assistant professor A.N.Heifitz) was established. The idea of the Institute attracted attention of central figures of the medical world of the. However, it turned to be possible only when the basis for clinics and laboratories was established in “Lermontovsky”. In 1927-1928 the arthrological (headed by prof. E.M.Brusilovsky) and neurological (headed by prof. S.S.Nalbandov) clinics as well as biochemical laboratory (headed by prof. L.V.Rosenfeld) started functioning. In 1928 the first heart disease department was opened in former private residence of baron Masse, on the initiative of the well-known cardiologist, prof. L.V.Buchstab. At the same time, in 1928, the electrocardiography office was opened in ”Lermontovsky”, the first one in the country’s resorts (Head M.S. Turkeltaub, later the doctor of medical sciences, professor). In 1928 a new building of the balneology and physiotherapy department commenced functioning. The first Head of it, later the famous scientist in the field of balneology and physiotherapy, M.S.Belenki was in charge of its inner improvement.     

During the next years the resort has been enriched with pathophysiological (Head, prof. B.I. Shatsillo) and microbiology (Head, prof. A.D. Rubenchik, later corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR) laboratories, gynecological (Head, prof. A.E. Gilcher), dermatologic (Head, assistant professor G.O. Lansta) and gastroenterology (Head, assistant professor E.A. Zarnitsky) clinics. Somewhat later, the clinic of neuroses and borderline states was established (prof. V.A.Shevalev and L.A.Mirelson). Neurology department of the Healh Resort was headed by prof. G.I. Markelov (later the academician of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR). The famous Odessa neuropathologists, prof. V.P. Kuznetsov, assistant professor B.Ya.Sosura and others worked there. The theoretical basis and practical application of the method of mud applications, gas baths with the sea water at the spa treatment of cardiac patients and methods of diagnosis and spa treatment of diseases of the vegetative nervous system were developed at that time. Hard work of brilliant constellation of scientists and doctors brought its results. Health Resort “Lermontovsky” became the biggest scientific-practical spa center of the whole country. Here in “Lermontovsky” Odessa school of balneological sciences, which had received a universal recognition was formed. The resort became the center of training for the specialists from other resorts of Ukraine.

In 1931 the Department of Physiotherapy and Health Resort of the Odessa Institute of the Doctors’ Advanced Trainings (first Head was M.S. Belenki) started functioning on the basis of the Health Resort. Medical College for resort specialists was opened, permanent training courses for health resort doctors, nurses, dietary nurses, hydropathic department workers, cookers, culture workers, administrative and management personnel were organized.

In 1941 the Great Patriotic War began. The invaders, capturing the city, organized the hospitals for the wounded in the buildings of the resort. Resort property was plundered, buildings and services were derelict. Fascists brutally destroyed the buildings leaving Odessa. Resort museum and its scientific library, one of the richest in the country for resort business, were burned. It was some miracle that building of the balneology and physiotherapy department (with the room equipped with Zander’s mechanisms) survived. After the liberation of Odessa the hospital of Leningrad and later hospital from Fergana were located here. Until 1945 the hospital took care of wounded soldiers and officers of the Soviet Army, after the victory - of allied troops and prisoners released from the camps. Hospital Head M.V. Lashchevker (later the Doctor of medical sciences, professor) became the first after-war Head of the resort, its Deputy of medical part – c.m.s. G.L.Brandenburgsky (later the persistent Head of Cardiological Clinic). 
  
Since 1949 the resort began to receive patients, most of whom were war veterans. In the nature of things, a great attention was paid at that period to the theory and practical developments for the treatment of the effects of trauma injuries of the central and peripheral nervous system (prof. M.N.Neiding, V.P.Kuznetsov, Head of neurological department S.Sh.Izrailevitch, N.V.Bortnik, D.I. Erenkranz, locomotor system by M.S.Belenki). In 1962, “Lermontovsky” became a basic health resort for trade unions of the South of Ukraine (Odessa, Nikolaev, Kirovograd, Kherson regions) and Moldavia, this resulted in the great reconstruction of the health resort and strengthening of its economic position. The building of balneology and physiotherapy department, central resort patient department and the rest home “Chaika” were included again in the structure of “Lermontovsky” as its new units. From the early sixties a psychotherapy office and the first in Ukraine resort radon laboratory were opened and successfully functioned. 

Head Doctor Deputy for organizational and methodic work, c.m.s. D.N. Weissfeld developed the reconstruction program for medical-diagnostic basis of  the Health Resort bringing it into line with the requirements of modern science, in order to give Lermontovsky  “landfill” status for the introduction of new methods of diagnosis and treatment and training of specialists of spa facilities.

At that very time the chief doctor A.A. Vartanov headed the resort. And later his successor S.A.Savel’ev administered Lermontovsky for twenty-five years, until the last days of his life.  

At that time the resort center of functional diagnosis of nervous diseases, where the bioelectrical brain activity (EEG), intracerebral hemodynamics (REG), ultrasonic echolocation of brain (EhoEG), electroneuromyography, etc. (L.S. Kondratova) were examined; resort radionuclide laboratory, where methods of isotopic studies of kidneys, liver, thyroid, isotope tissue’s capillary tube permeability, scanning of liver, kidneys, thyroid (L.S. Gorbat’yuk) were implemented; center for electrostimulation, reflexo- and barotherapy (D.N. Weissfeld); pool for hydrokinesitherapy and traditional methods of treatment (T.K. Tzvigovskaya); center of plasma photometry for determination of electrolytes in biological fluids; new bush immunobakteriological laboratory where definition of many parameters of cellular, humoral innate immunity is established, a number of clinical and sanitary bacteriological researches (T.N.Sudakov), were opened.

Lermontovsky played a pioneer role in the development and implementation of methods of biotelemetry, medical cybernetics and computer technology in resort practice. An organized medical cybernetics structure – “Cardiological center”, which later was transformed into a laboratory of automated processing of medical and economic information, and after that developed into the leading center of Odessa Regional Soviet resort, was established.

Society transformations and economic upset of the last two decades have led to significant changes in the health resort business. Lermontovsky withstood and held its reputation of the prominent medical institution, which treats and provides medical rehabilitation of patients after the most complex and serious illnesses. In the last decade a special attention was paid to medical rehabilitation (D.N. Weissfeld, S.A. Savel’yev, E.O. Kosoverov and N.N. Tyshchuk). From 1993 until 2001 four rehabilitation departments were opened und successfully functioned here. Currently the resort is developing as a regional multi-field rehabilitation center. Such method of mud treatment as infrapelotherapy (E.L.Kosoverov, N.N. Tyshchuk) is applied. The pool for underwater traction and hydrokinesitherapy has been redesigned. A real pride of the resort is its ancient park with a wonderful climate, museum- cabinet of mechanotherapy equipped with Zander’s equipment. Bedroom blocks are constantly renewed; the number of rooms of enhanced comfort is increasing. The resort looks in the future with confidence.

Odessa resort area is famous with its premium class recreational and medical treatment resources. They include both climate, and sea, and medical muds, salt brine of estuaries and mineral water. Health Resort “Lermontovsky” is located on the high plain, rising above the sea level, in the center of Odessa, where the climate is mild and temperate. The Black Sea is a kind of a climate regulator: it weakens the heat in summer and softens the cold in winter. Years ago specialists paid attention to such peculiarities of Odessa climate. For example, in 1834 one of the first Odessa balneologists I. Witsman, speaking of the climate in Odessa, wrote the following :
«Located on the highland, bordering on the Black Sea in the south and in the west, surrounded by steppes from the north and from the east, where nothing prevents the free movement of air, Odessa has one of the healthiest climates. The air is dry, mild and fresh there, especially in summer.  It is “richer” in oxygen than any other ordinary air...»
The flat area of Odessa resort favors penetration of cold air masses from the north, saturated air masses - from the Atlantic Ocean in the west, warm and wet air - from Mediterranean in the south. Strong winds are not typical for Odessa. In summer northern rumba winds prevail, and in winter – northern-eastern ones.  Average wind speed is 4,5 meters per second. Breezes often prevail in July and August.
Since the end of March to October, the air humidity in the Black Sea coast corresponds the comfort zone (within 40—70 percent of the relevant air humidity).
Winter in Odessa is mild with unstable snow cover, often thawing, slightly frosty and moderately frosty weather prevailing. Sometimes in winter the days are cloudy and dull, from time to time the weather is foggy. As a rule, the summer is characterized by dry, warm and non-cloudy weather.

      

 
Чайка